Room at the Inn (RATI) is a winter shelter providing the homeless with a warm and safe place to sleep on the cold winter nights. The shelter housed at 6 different churchs in Columbia starting on December 4 and running until March 1. There are many ways a parishioner can help out with RATI. You can donate items need both perishable and nonperishable (for the list of items needed check out the RATI website, www.roomattheinncomo.org), you can help with laundry or work at the shelters.
There are five different shifts that need volunteers in order to keep RATI going, they are:
- Set up – 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- Evening – 6:15 p.m. to 9:30 or 11 p.m.
- Overnight – 11:15 p.m. to 5:30 a.m.
- Morning – 5:15 a.m. to 7:30 a.m.
- Restoration – 7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m.
There are volunteer training session scheduled for Tuesday Nov. 29 at 6:30 p.m. at Fairview United Methodist Church, 3200 Chapel Hill Rd and Tuesday Dec 6 at 6:30 p.m. at Broadway Christian Church, 2601 W Broadway. If you have worked at a RATI shelter before you don’t have to go to the training session but if this is your first time it is recommended.
This year’s dates and locations for Room at the Inn are:
- 4 thru Dec. 18 at Unitarian Universalist Church, 2615 Shepard Blvd
- 18 thru Jan. 2 at Fairview United Methodist Church, 3200 Chapel Hill Rd
- 2 thru Jan. 29 at Broadway Christian Church, 2601 W. Broadway
- 29 thru Feb. 12 at Missouri United Methodist Church, 204 S. Ninth
- 12 thru Feb. 19 at First Presbyterian Church, 16 Hitt Street
- 19 thru Mar. 1 at First Baptist Church, 1112 E. Broadway
Sacred Heart will be staffing the shelter the last week February 19 thru March 1. To volunteer go to the Room at the Inn website, www.roomattheinn.org and click on the Sign up Genius.